It's been a week since I hit the road, leaving sunny San Diego for a month-long, roundabout trip to South Florida. It's been the perfect way to unwind from the stress of the last few years, see some of the most incredible and iconic parts of the United States, and reset my intentions and goals.
So far I've learned (or been reminded of) the following:
- A week goes by very quickly. I'm already a little sad that a month will be here before I know it, and I'm definitely working on savoring each moment.
- Camping in temperatures below 40 degrees is mildly insane. Once your fingers and toes are numb it's hard to warm up again. Hot showers help (thank you, Housekeeping Camp).
- Sitting too long can flare up your sensitive low back. I'm stretching whenever I can, taking yoga classes along the way, and making sure I'm not sitting with one leg up (which also happens to be my favorite way to sit).
- Don't spend too much time on your phone reading maps or researching the next destination. You might miss an entire town with one quick look down. I'm sorry I missed you, Peach Springs, Arizona (aka Cars' Radiator Springs).
- And speaking of maps, Google Maps is smart, but it's worth spending extra time off-roading or taking the scenic route if you really want to see the sights. And if you're driving past the Hoover Dam, DON'T follow Google Maps because you won't see anything!
- San Diego has spoiled me, especially when it comes to yoga, pilates, and coffee. Who knew it'd be so hard to find a good class and a place to grab some coffee and do a little work? I'm not against Starbucks, but I'd rather support local businesses. And I just can't understand studios that only offer one or two classes per day at really random times (yes, like I said, I've been spoiled).
Three more weeks to go! I'm posting photos along the way via Instagram & Facebook, and have some super fun stops coming up, including community classes in Santa Fe and Taos next week. Stay tuned :)
Wahoo, Floating Yoga School is hitting the road this April/May! We'll be driving across the Southern United States visiting some great spots and taking time to slow down, explore nature, lead free yoga classes, build community, and film for our YouTube channel.
Below is the current plan. I'm calling it the "Yoga Road Trip."
If you live in one of these cities I'd loooove to meet up!
- Sedona, AZ - Friday, April 29th
- Tucson, AZ - Sunday, May 1st
- Santa Fe, NM - Thursday, May 5th
- Taos, NM - Saturday, May 7th
- Austin, TX - Tuesday & Wednesday, May 10-11th
- New Orleans, LA - Friday, May 13th
- Savannah, GA - Tuesday, May 17th
- Orlando, FL - Thursday, May 19th
- Homestead, FL - Saturday, May 21st
- Key West, FL - Tuesday, May 24th
- Miami, FL - Thursday, May 26th
Send me your favorite yoga studios, parks, restaurants, or "must-dos" so I don't miss anything!
Helen's Adventures as a Traveling Yogi
Follow my adventures on social media!